[Australia] Spring Bay Mussels said unusual environmental conditions caused the appearance of and algal bloom containing the shellfish toxin, which had not affected the east coast farm in the past.
Scientists said the bloom was an algal strain which was different to a an outbreak in the region which prompted a health warning last year.
Acting Tasmanian director of public health Mark Veitch said the people should not eat the mussels but rather return them for a full refund.
“It’s a different toxin to the one that was causing problems in Shellfish last year and earlier this year and it’s produced by a different sort of algae,” he said.
“DST [Diarrhetic Shellfish Toxin] is produced by naturally occurring algae and may cause diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.
“Symptoms start from 30 minutes to several hours after eating affected shellfish; cases recover within a day or so.
“DST poisoning usually does not cause serious illness, but anyone concerned by their symptoms should seek medical help.”
Spring Bay Seafoods managing director Phil Lamb said the company did not yet know how costly the recall would be.
“Mother nature cuts you up and it will hurt our bottom line for sure,” he said.
“For all of us that like fish at Easter, it’s a very important time for us a producer, so it’s frustrating and disappointing and we obviously apologise to our customers.”
The company recalled products branded Spring Bay Live Blue Mussels, sold either loose or in bags.
They were harvested between March 14 and 17, with use by dates from the 22nd to the 27th of the month.
DST was also detected at lower levels on oysters on Tasmania’s east coast last month.
View original article at: Spring Bay mussels recalled in Tasmania over algal toxin find