Health authorities have warned people not to eat wild shellfish from the Huon Estuary, including Port Cygnet, after paralytic shellfish toxins were found in oyster samples…
Director of Public Health Roscoe Taylor said because of a hazardous algal bloom… in the area, shellfish may be toxic and potentially fatal if eaten.
“Toxins accumulate in the shellfish as they feed on algae that contain toxins, temporarily making them dangerous to eat,” Dr Taylor said.
“At high levels these toxins can be fatal in extreme cases, and children are most at risk.”
Dr Taylor warned people not to eat the following seafood sourced from the area: oysters, mussels, clams/pipis, scallops with roe, the gut of crab or rock lobster.
Cooking does not destroy the toxins.
Dr Taylor said symptoms of PSP included tingling in the mouth and extremities, pins and needles, unsteadiness on the feet, weakness of the arms or legs, and nausea.
Photo caption: Director of Public Health Roscoe Taylor. Source:News Limited
Dr Taylor reminded Tasmanians to always buy shellfish from approved outlets.
Photo caption: Source:News Limited
View original article at: Consumers warned off shellfish from Huon Estuary