Toxins from the algae can kill wild animals, livestock and pets. Lake District National Park Authority guidelines say the algae can cause rashes on humans after skin contact and illness if swallowed…
Illnesses including eye irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever and muscle and joint pain have occurred in people who have swallowed or swam through algae scum.
These haven’t led to long-term effects or death but, in some cases, the illnesses can be severe, said the LDNPA.
The SLDC-operated lake wardens said people should be careful. “Please be aware before swimming in the lake there are traces of blue green algae in the water at this time,” a spokesman said.
Call the Environment Agency on 0800 80 70 60 to report a sighting.
Victoria Brenan, News and Star
View original article at: Warning over killer blue-green algae in Cumbrian lake