[Global] Add some magic and colour to mum’s special morning with a whimsical breakfast plate in bed.
I probably don’t need to remind you that rainbow food is having a major moment right now, and the fact hasn’t been lost on Taline Gabrielian, the mastermind behind successful wholefoods blog, recipe app, and now cookbook Hippie Lane.
“My feeling is, that with the bombardment of beautiful photos on our screens every day, people are seeking more than the ordinary. Viewers want to fantasise about the taste and experience of eating unobtainable foods or foods that can’t easily be replicated. And they love the element of surprise,” Gabrielian told 9Kitchen.
The highly-instagrammable, vegan-luxe creations that have earned her a cult following range from power salads to fruit studded bliss bowls, with an emphasis on beautiful, whimsical styling.
“People are drawn to beautiful-looking food; last year the Hippie Lane star-shapes went wild, which fit right into the ‘galaxy’ theme that was all the rage,” Gabrielian said.
“This year we’ll be seeing lots of mythical-themed food – unusual flavour combinations with colour themes that are an escape from reality.”
On that note, Gabrielian has shared three health-boosting, fantasy-themed breakfast recipes from her new cookbook, designed to nourish mum while offering the perfect “escape” (we can already imagine her surprise as she’s presented with her striking blue spirulina-spiked breakfast bowl).
Time: 20 mins
VGN, DF, GF, RSF
- 4 pieces of gluten free wholegrain toast
- 2 cups (300g) cashews, soaked (4+ hours)
- ½ cup (120ml) coconut oil
- ¾ cup (180ml) coconut / almond milk
- ¾ cup (180ml) rice malt syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 1 tbsp cashew butter, softened
- 4 blackberries
- 1 tbsp raspberries
- 1 mango
- ½ tsp blue spirulina
- 1 fig, sliced
- ½ banana, cut in little star shapes (optional)
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts, chopped
- Sprinkle of superfood powders (optional)
- Drain and rinse cashews, then process with coconut oil, coconut milk and rice malt. The nuts must be broken down and filling should be smooth so keep processing until you reach a smooth consistency. You can use a blender or a food processor, both will work.
- Fold through vanilla and coconut butter and pulse till well combined and creamy.
- Pour contents into 4 separate bowls.
- Add contents of one of the bowls back into the processor, add blackberries and pulse.* Colour should be purple!
- Pour purple contents back into bowl, rinse processor and add contents of one of the other bowls.
- Add raspberries and pulse. Colour should be pink!
- Pour pink contents back into bowl, rinse processor and add contents of one of the other bowls.
- Add mango and pulse. Colour should be yellow!
- Pour yellow contents back into bowl.
- Stir blue spirulina through the last bowl of contents and the colour should be blue.
- Toast your bread, spread colourful spreads randomly and generously over toast, top with fig, banana stars and pistachio nuts. Sprinkle with superfood powders (optional) and serve!